September 26, 2011

The Beginning of the End of the Year

It's been about a month and a half since my last post, and that's just, well, not acceptable! This summer was filled with family vacations on Nantucket, beach volleyball, bike rides, concerts (Bon Iver was amazing), surf lessons, and finally learning how to cook and paint! Now that the fall is here I plan on doing much more of those last two things. 

I bought a 48"x48" canvas a couple of weeks ago but couldn't figure out what I really wanted it to be. I've never painted anything before (other than my mother's white bed quilt with red nail polish when I was 5), so it was a little daunting. A recent visit to the LACMA inspired me. Franz Kline's black and white abstract expressionist paintings from the 1950's are my favorite in their permanent collection. There's something so constant and permanent about them. So, a glass of pinot noir and a couple of Coltrane albums later, I had 'Jackson Pollock-ed' the finishing touches. What do you think? I hope your Fall season is as inspiring as mine!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment