February 15, 2011

Rosita Missoni

Rosita Missoni, the 79 year old matriarch of the Missoni clan, is still moving full steam ahead in the design world even though she stepped down in 1997 as head of the iconic knitwear line she started with her husband Ottavio over 50 years ago.

In 2004, she launched the Missoni Home Collection, and in 2009 she oversaw the opening of the first Hotel Missoni in Edinburgh. A second property in Kuwait opens in March, and she has three more luxury boutique hotels- in Oman, Brazil and Turkey- in the works. She is responsible for designing the interiors of each, outfitted with furniture by Eero Saarinen, Marcel Wanders and Arne Jacobsen, and featuring Missoni's famous zig-zags, stripes and flowers in her iconic pink, teal and purple hues.

'I realized I had a knack for interior design when I was a child. My favorite game was to create a house or living room in the heath forest of my village, Golasecca,' says Rosita.

A suite at the Missoni Hotel in Edinburgh

Also at the hotel, the doormen sport Missoni-printed kilts

Hans Wegner Wishbone chairs are in each room

'The most treasured item in my home is a coffee table painted by my granddaughters, Margherita and Jennifer, when they were 12 and 10. I had seen a nice table in Paris and had our carpenter recreate it in plywood. My granddaughters asked to paint it—we always have paint around the house. Their little brothers were allowed to paint the underside. One day my son Luca came over and goes, 'God, this is a work of art!' So he took it away, and had someone put some surface on top of it, and it became the most special object in the house.'

*images via the wsj

No comments:

Post a Comment