November 25, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Sally King Benedict

I recently came across Sally King Benedict's artwork after reading about her in Coastal Living and I ran to her site to learn more about her. Her work can be described as chic and beautifully relaxing. It's no wonder why most of her works are sold out on her site!

Born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, SKB received her BA from the College of Charleston in December 2007 with a concentration in painting and printmaking. Her preferred mediums are oil on canvas, linen and paper, and ink and guache on paper.

It is enlightening to see an artist that is my age doing what she loves- and doing it so well. I've recently been contemplating trying my own hand at painting- working out colour schemes, sizes and the approach I would like to take. I think SKB's paintings below will serve as my inspiration!

The artist's statement:
"Loose lines, layered color, and spontaneity have taken precedence in creating my most recent works. Recollections of simplistic thoughts, scribbles, and feelings have begun to dictate the palettes’ intensity or perhaps the lack there of. The lines are varied, intersecting, and contrasting with great influences ranging from organic forms from nature and found objects to the collection of text from the old letterpress in my studio. I rarely start a piece with a plan because having the liberty to be free and to experiment makes the process that much more meaningful and unexpected. With this latest approach, I hope to portray energetic compositions that are approachable and relevant."

Learn more about Sally King Benedict here.

"Peace Piece"
Oil and charcoal on linen, 40x40


"Secret"
Oil and charcoal on linen, 17x17


"Orange Draw"
Oil and charcoal on linen, 14x14

"Finch"
Oil and charcoal on linen, 54x54


"Acid"

Oil and charcoal on canvas, 48x60

No comments:

Post a Comment